[tekui-devel] Font problem...?

Stefan Reich stefan.reich.maker.of.eye at googlemail.com
Fri May 24 17:38:21 CEST 2013


Hmm... I'm afraif I can't reproduce the bug anymore. Not really sure what
happened... I tried the same binary on all 3 Peppermint installations I
have, and now they all work.

Huh. Sorry, I really can't tell why this is different now.

Is there still a use in trying the patch?

Cheers,
Stefan


On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Timm S. Mueller <
tmueller at schulze-mueller.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2013 19:06:55 +0200
> Stefan Reich <stefan.reich.maker.of.eye at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry I didn't answer earlier... I have an idea: The only difference
> > between the installations (apart from one having a few more packages
> > installed) is the language. I've got one set to German, one to English
> (the
> > whole OS). Could it make a difference?
>
> I don't think that's the issue.
>
> > Yeah it seems that recompiling tekUI on the new machine makes the problem
> > go away. I saw that here too.
> >
> > So it's only the binaries that are incompatible... If we find out why it
> > would be nice, as I'd like to distribute binaries of my software for
> > Peppermint. If not, well... gotta distribute sources then. (Not exactly
> > optimal though, as compiling tekUI requires fairly large downloads).
>
> The problem is probably that the versions of fontconfig or libXft that
> the binary was linked against did not match the libraries installed in
> the system you wanted to run it on.
>
> tekUI, on the other hand, has only few system requirements and even the
> ability to fall back to the native X11 font API at runtime, so it's
> rather disappointing that this feature didn't work when it was needed.
> Or rather, the feature apparently worked, but the set of fallback font
> names wasn't suited for the native X11 font API anymore.
>
> So I find the issue rather interesting, and I'd like to fix it with the
> next version.
>
> Here is a patch that if applied over 0.8k should result in a version
> that has support for requesting scaled fonts from the native X11 API,
> which was missing for successfully opening the requested fonts. Or
> download it from here:
>
> http://tekui.neoscientists.org/patches/tekui-0.8k-font.patch
>
> If this works out as planned, you may lose font antialiasing when
> taking the binary from one installation to another, but at least some
> GUI should come up.
>
> - Timm
>
> --
> Timm S. Mueller <tmueller at schulze-mueller.de>
> Schulze & Mueller GbR, Jungstr. 2, 10247 Berlin,
> Gesellschafter: Franciska Schulze, Timm S. Mueller,
> Tel. +49 30 85610000, http://www.schulze-mueller.de/
>
> _______________________________________________
> tekui-devel mailing list
> tekui-devel at lists.neoscientists.org
> http://lists.neoscientists.org/mailman/listinfo/tekui-devel
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.neoscientists.org/pipermail/tekui-devel/attachments/20130524/0d613af7/attachment.html>


More information about the tekui-devel mailing list