[tekui-devel] Font problem...?

Timm S. Mueller tmueller at schulze-mueller.de
Sun May 19 20:06:50 CEST 2013

On Sun, 19 May 2013 18:55:46 +0200
Stefan Reich <stefan.reich.maker.of.eye at googlemail.com> wrote:

> ./lua: ./tek/ui/border/default.lua:65: attempt to index local 'f' (a nil
> value)
> stack traceback:
>     ./tek/ui/border/default.lua:65: in function 'setup'
>     ./tek/ui.lua:310: in function 'createHook'
>     ./tek/ui/class/frame.lua:130: in function 'newBorderObject'
>     ./tek/ui/class/frame.lua:116: in function 'setup'
>     ./tek/ui/class/widget.lua:193: in function 'setup'
>     ./tek/ui/class/group.lua:126: in function 'setup'
>     ./tek/ui/class/group.lua:130: in function 'setup'
>     ./tek/ui/class/window.lua:243: in function 'setup'
>     ./tek/ui/class/application.lua:307: in function 'addMember'
>     ican-ui.lua:195: in main chunk
>     [C]: ?
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm seeing that bug suddenly (after switching to another installation of
> Peppermint Linux). Something to do with fonts...?
>
> The lines in question (border/default.lua):
>
>         local f = app.Display:openFont(props["border-legend-font"])
>         self.LegendFont = f
>         self.LegendWidth, self.LegendHeight = f:getTextSize(l)
>
> Please enlighten... =)

Can you check if an Adobe font package is available for that particular
distribution, and if this is the case, if it works after installing it?

It looks like X11/Xorg is changing its font packaging. A minimal set of
font names is needed that can be relied on on all platforms and
distributions. In the case of X11/Xorg I relied on "helvetica", which
worked for many years, but no longer seems to be sufficient.

If you can identify a more recent/official font, insert its name into
the list of alternative font names in tek/ui/class/display.lua. The
proper place should be line 116, DEF_SMALLFONT, but the other font
classes are probably affected, too.

Theoretically all fontnames can also be overridden in stylesheets
(tek/ui/style/default.css would be a good candidate), but that doesn't
save me from finding another set that can be relied on as a default in
future versions.

- Timm

--
Timm S. Mueller <tmueller at schulze-mueller.de>
Schulze & Mueller GbR, Jungstr. 2, 10247 Berlin,