[tekui-devel] Building TekUI on Solaris

Timm S. Mueller tmueller at schulze-mueller.de
Sat Mar 30 19:25:00 CET 2013

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 17:46:38 +0000
Garry Taylor <taylor.garry at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Garry,

> Thank you for your help, that proved to get me a lot further in the build.
> Now it's failing like so:
>
> gcc -fpic -DTSYS_POSIX  -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter
> -Wno-unused-function -O1 -I. -Iinclude -I../../include -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -I/home/fs4u/Garry/freetype-2.4.0/include -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DENABLE_XFT
> -DENABLE_XVID -DENABLE_STDIN -o build/posix/display_x11_all.lo -c
> display_x11_all.c
> In file included from display_x11_all.c:27:
> display_x11_api.c: In function `x11_openvisual':
> display_x11_api.c:221: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `Xutf8TextListToTextProperty'
> [..]
>

> I have read that Solaris' X does not have Xutf8TextListToTextProperty, and
> that this is an XFree86 thing. Any thoughts on getting around that?

As a workaround, you could comment out the line containing
Xutf8TextListToTextProperty() and the small block that depends on it,
as this deals just with the window title.

But the next problems are already looming. Next you need to get support
for X shared memory, and ioctl/FIONREAD would require a Solaris
replacement.

> Thanks
>
> Garry
>

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Timm S. Mueller <
> tmueller at schulze-mueller.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 14:48:48 +0000
> > Garry Taylor <taylor.garry at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Garry,
> >
> > > I am interested in using TekUI in a personal project. I tried the binary
> > on
> > > Windows, and it looks like TekUI will work well for me. However, I also
> > > need this project to work on Solaris (and other platforms in time), but
> > > when I build on Solaris I get:
> > >
> > > gmake all
> > > cd src && gmake libs
> > > gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/fs4u/Garry/tekui-0.8k/src'
> > > cd teklib && gmake libs
> > > gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/fs4u/Garry/tekui-0.8k/src/teklib'
> > > gcc -fpic  -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-function -O1
> > -I.
> > > -Iinclude -I../../include  -o build/posix/debug.lo -c debug.c
> > > In file included from ../../include/tek/exec.h:11,
> > >                  from ../../include/tek/teklib.h:11,
> > >                  from debug.c:14:
> > > ../../include/tek/type.h:19: error: syntax error before "TINT"
> > > [..]
> > >

> > > I have built FreeType and Lua from source, changed config to point to the
> > > right places (I think). Where can I start to resolve these problems?
> >
> > The easiest way would be to include the definition of TSYS_POSIX to
> > the top-level 'config' file. Add it to the compiler configuration:
> >
> > CC = $(CCPREFIX)gcc -fpic -DTSYS_POSIX
> >
> > Alternatively, add a definition for your platform in
> > include/tek/config.h to recognize Solaris automatically.
> >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Garry

Regards,

--
Timm S. Mueller <tmueller at schulze-mueller.de>
Schulze & Mueller GbR, Jungstr. 2, 10247 Berlin,